Andriy Ischenko is a leading socialist and trade union activist in the city of Odessa, he is active in the intiative towards forming a new left party in Ukraine. A number of activists in the UK have had the privilege of discussing with him the situation in Ukraine, and the crisis of the European left, when he addressed a meeting of the Ukraine Solidarity Campaign in London. We are pleased to publish below an address by Andriy on the subject of the role of the European left.
1) A position against the Russian imperialist aggression must be accompanied by campaigns against their own imperialist governments and active criticism thereof;
2) The widest dissemination of information about the fight of the Ukrainian left for elementary democracy in Ukraine and against the establishment of an oligarchic dictatorship;
3) Systematic acts of protest outside Russian diplomatic missions demanding an end to the intervention and aggression;
4) Systematic protests near Ukrainian diplomatic missions and state institutions of European countries regarding every attempt to roll back democracy in Ukraine, censorship of independent trade unions and repression of left-wing activists in Ukraine;
5) Invitations of Ukrainian left-wing activists to give public lectures to the widest audiences about the real situation in Ukraine and the fight by the left-union movement for freedom, democracy, social justice and against war.
Thank you to Gregory Schwartz for translation.