The Labour Representation Committee, the main organisation of the left of the Labour Party has voted at its conference on 8th November to support the Ukraine Solidarity Campaign.
The majority of the LRC conference rejected the views of supporters of the ultra Stalinist ‘New Communist Party’ and other sectarians, to adopt a motion from Noel Park Labour Party Branch which stated:
- The ongoing conflict between the Ukrainian government and paramilitary forces in the east of the country backed by Russian imperialism.
- That all workers in Ukraine – Ukrainian-speaking, Russian-speaking and Russian – are facing attacks on their rights and living standards as a result of neo-liberal economic policies promoted by Western governments, the IMF, etc.
- That the Ukraine Solidarity Campaign has been established to organise solidarity and provide information in support of Ukrainian socialists and trade unionists, campaigning for working class, and democratic rights, against imperialist intervention and national chauvinism.
Conference resolves to reaffirm our affiliation to USC, and to support its basic aims:
- to support and build direct links with the independent socialists and the labour movement in Ukraine.
- to support the right of the Ukrainian people to determine their own future free from external intervention from Russian or Western imperialism